After months of reduced traffic in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, Gozo Channel will be launching a full summer schedule as from Thursday, 2 July, a day after the reopening of Malta’s airport.
The schedule, which has been published on the ferry service’s Facebook page, is largely identical to the summer schedule for 2019, in a sign that for the ferry operator, things appear to be back to normal.
Non-essential travel between Malta and Gozo had been prohibited as the pandemic reached the country in March, leading the ferry to reduce the frequency of trips even lower than is usual for the low season.
This ban had been lifted in May – albeit with various restrictions, including on the number of cars and passengers in each trip – leading to a new schedule launched that month.
But even these restrictions have been lifted – thermal screening of passengers was no longer deemed necessary around a month ago, for instance – and with the first tourists arriving this week, the ferry has opted to start its full summer service, with the schedule expected to run until November.
MV Nikolaos to resume operations
Just in time for the new schedule, the company’s fourth ferry, the MV Nikolaos, will resume operations on Thursday, the Gozo Ministry confirmed.
In a statement, the ministry said that more than 35,000 Maltese travelled to Gozo during the Imnarja long weekend, with some 14,500 vehicles making the crossing. Noting that tourism had not yet started, the ministry said that the figures confirmed that Gozo was a favourite destination for internal tourism.