Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
According to a report in today’s the Sunday Times of Malta (STOM) the major businessman who is among three potential key suspects behind the assassination of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia has yet to be questioned by the police. The paper quotes sources close to the investigation.
This is the second time in the space of a year that the paper is saying that the masterminds of the assassination have been identified.
Daphne Caruana Galizia was assassinated in an explosion after a bomb was placed inside her car in October 2017. Preparations for the commemoration of the assassination are currently in their final stages. A Mass and a demonstration in Valletta are among the highlights of the activities for the commemoration to be held on Wednesday October 16.
November 2018: STOM says mastermind identified
It was in November 2018 that the Sunday Times of Malta quoted sources close to the investigation saying they have identified a group of “more than two” Maltese nationals who they believe masterminded the killing of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia. Last November the paper also said that the family had not been ‘formally’ informed.
The police sources had told the paper that the investigation was at a “very advanced stage” as the main suspects had been identified. The investigators told the paper that they believed these people had different motives for carrying out the assassination but came together to contract the three men accused of having planted and triggered the bomb. Back them the sources of Sunday Times of Malta would not give any indication of who these suspects were or whether they came from the criminal, business or political world.
The information given back then by these ‘police sources’ was immediately contradicted by Reuters correspondent Stephen Grey. He said that according to his sources, it was not true that the masterminds responsible for the assassination had been identified.
Stephen Grey was the Reuters journalist who had revealed the story that Yorgen Fenech, the chief executive of Tumas Group who are also part-owners of Electrogas was the owner of Black 17. Daphne Caruana Galizia
June 2019: Police still looking for motive – Minister Abela
In June 2019 Minister for Foreign Affairs Carmelo Abela had told told journalists from the Gulf that the investigators were currently still focusing on the motive behind the murder and were still trying to understand whether the three accused of the murder acted alone or if there was another person involved.
“The investigators are trying to figure out whether they acted on their own or someone else was behind them,” said Abela.
The Minister’s comments were reported by Khaleej Times, a Dubai newsletter that’s published in English.
Given that in November 2018 police investigators had told the Sunday Times of Malta that the masterminds had been identified but seven months later the Minister for Foreign Affairs said that the police were still looking for a motive, Newsbook.com.mt had asked the Police about and developments. We received the stock answer that it is not prudent to give information while investigations are ongoing.
Daphne Assassination: masterminds still at large 7 months after allegedly being identified
The Sunday Times of Malta reported this morning that the businessman suspected of being one of the masterminds has yet to be questioned. But one source told the paper they are “quite certain by now that Daphne Caruana Galizia was murdered because of what she wrote or what she was about to reveal”.
Sources told the paper that investigators are also focusing on at least two other men who could have been involved in the commissioning of the murder. One is believed to be connected with the gambling scene, the other suspected to be linked to the smuggling underworld.
However, none of the potential suspects have been called in for questioning.