The Superintendent for Public Health Prof. Charmaine Gauci is addressing an online press conference on the latest COVID-19 cases in Malta and Gozo.
On Sunday Deputy Prime Minister and Health Minister Chris Fearne announced that no new coronavirus cases have been reported in Malta.
Minister Fearne explained that the pandemic showed that Malta had a robust health service and that it had been well prepared for the outbreak with widespread testing and contact tracing and quarantine measures for those at risk of infection.
The press conference ends here. Thank you for following us.
As usual Prof. Gauci reiterated her appeal to the public to stay in and stay safe.
Asked about if the coronavirus can manifest itself in other forms rather than the already mentioned symptoms, Prof. Gauci said that if any person feels unusual symptoms they are encouraged to immediately contact the authorities.
2nd coronavirus wave: This depends on how much the public follows the measures announced by the authorities to contain the spread of the virus.
The number of people who are not attending fo their swab test is decreasing and a number of people who did not attend were contacted by the authorities to understand why and were provided with another time slot to get checked.
Prof. Gauci said that the recovery rate amongst children is very positive.
She also explained that the social distancing measure needs to be continuously observed especially by those considered as vulnerable including the elderly.
Regarding the situation where many people decided to go out yesterday after hearing the news that no new cases were confirmed (yesterday), Prof. Gauci said that we are still in the local transmission phase.
Until today there are 160 active cases out of the 450 confirmed cases.
The first coronavirus case was reported in Malta on the 7th of March.
Prof. Gauci said that by what was announced yesterday did not mean that Malta and Gozo were not to confirm new cases. She explained that the situation is still a very delicate one and authorities still need to take the necessary precautions.
Yesterday, was the first time that no new coronavirus cases were reported in Malta.
43 residents at the Open Centre had tested positive but as from the 20th of April, no new cases were confirmed.
Regarding the Hal Far Open Centre: Random testing is still being carried out – 359 tests in total.
Maltese male, aged 40 – was in contact with a person who had contracted the virus. The virus was transmitted from his workplace.
Maltese male aged 68. Contact tracing is being carried out amongst his family.
The new cases:
Another 4 people have recovered. This means that a total of 286 people have recovered from coronavirus.
2 new COVID-19 cases confirmed out of the 700 swab tests carried out yesterday.
Prof. Gauci has entered the room.
Yesterday, Deputy Prime Minister and Health Minister Chris Fearne announced that no coronavirus cases were detected and that another 33 individuals have recovered from the virus
The Superintendent for Public Health Prof. Charmaine Gauci to address the press conference soon.
Good afternoon and welcome to Newsbook.com.mt live blog.