Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
Superintendent of Public Health Professor Charmaine Gauci is expected to deliver a press conference at 12.30pm.
- A 31-year-old man tested positive for coronavirus
- Another 39 patients have recovered, bringing the total up to 204
- 641 tests were carried overnight
- The rate of reproduction has dropped below 1
She says that one could download voluntarily such apps on their phones which would do the contact tracing via bluetooth.
"We're working on a transitional strategy," Prof. Gauci. She stresses that all scenarios need to be taken into account.
On random community testing, Prof. Gauci says that while they are targeting specific groups for community testing, this was not a passport that would guarantee that one will not get the virus.
Prof. Gauci mentions that the health authorities have reached an agreement with public transport and vehicles have been modified in a way to ferry possible coronavirus positive patients to the testing hubs.
Prof. Gauci says that there is enough stock of swab tests in her reply to a question why the number of swab tests being carried out is lower than in other days.
The number of swab tests is dependent on the number of people that come forward. She adds that random testing has been increased to detect asymptomatic cases.
Seven patients are at St Thomas Hospital.
A patient is still in intensive care and breathing through a ventilator.
Five patients are at Mater Dei Hospital.
Prof. Gauci says that the health authorities were prepared to see an increase in numbers however it has resulted that with the measures in place the numbers were kept at bay. She reiterates the need to adhere to the measures in order to curb the spread of the virus.
The first question concerning the easing of measures and the use of masks in public.
Professor Gauci says that one would need to assess when the rate of transmission is below one. She highlights the need of monitoring of the situation and take note of the reproduction rate to prevent the outbreak of a second wave.
"We're analysing the situation before taking any decision," she says.
On masks, there needs to be a risk assessment. She says that the recommendations will be based on evidence.
Professor Gauci underlines the need to protect the vulnerable people and to only leave the house when needed.
The 31-year-old Libyan man was living in the community. The man was asymptomatic prior to the test.
So far, 445 coronavirus cases were registered in Malta.
A total of 204 individuals have recovered so far.
On Wednesday one new case of coronavirus was detected out of 808 swab tests. The health authorities also announced that another 15 individuals have successfully recovered from the virus bringing the total up to 165. So far a total of 444 cases have been confirmed, three individuals have lost their lives and a total of 276 cases remain active.
If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.