Watch: Man, 72, discharged from hospital; 3 new coronavirus cases

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

A 72-year-old man who had tested positive for coronavirus and had been receiving treatment in intensive care will be discharged from hospital and continue recovering at home. The man had spent days breathing through the assistance of a ventilator.

Superintendent of Public Health Prof. Charmaine Gauci announced that the man who was then transferred to the ward will be discharged from hospital.

On Tuesday, there were no newly recovered cases registered. Three new coronavirus cases were detected during the 1,241 swab tests carried out in the last 24 hours. A total of 506 coronavirus cases were registered since 7 March, of which 67 remain active.

The three new cases are all contacts of previously recorded cases and were detected during contact tracing. Out of these cases, two were healthcare workers in the same ward at Mater Dei Hospital where other healthcare workers and patients have tested positive in the last days.

12:51 Thank you for following this live blog.
Monique Agius
12:48 The next question relates to holiday farmhouses especially in Gozo.

Many will start crossing to Gozo for holidays. She reminds everyone that at present we cannot meet other families or members from a different household. She stresses on the importance of social distancing.
Monique Agius
12:47 One needs to continue social distancing until a vaccine is developed, Prof. Gauci says.

On SkolaSajf and educational institutions, the authorities are working on a plan on how the educational institutions can reopen. Preparatory work is being done, she explains.
Monique Agius
12:44 Prof. Gauci says that it is important to continue with conducting the swab tests. She urges the public to continue coming forward if they are developing symptoms.
Monique Agius
12:43 Migrants on Captain Morgan boats have tested negative. Prof. Gauci says that the workers are using personal protective equipment.
Monique Agius
12:42 30 healthcare workers have tested positive from Mater Dei Hospital.
Monique Agius
12:40 Another question relates to passenger flights and resuming of sport activities.

Prof. Gauci explains that Malta has managed to weather the situation due to its strategy and risk assessment. She underlines that Malta was never under full lockdown. Senior citizens and vulnerable individuals are being protected.

The easing off of measures is evidence-based.
Monique Agius
12:38 The first question relates to the use of face masks and healthcare workers. Prof. Gauci says that a risk assessment is carried out before healthcare worker staff wear face masks.
Monique Agius
12:37 Question Time!
Monique Agius
12:35 Prof. Gauci underlines the importance of good hand hygiene and the wearing of face masks in establishments.
Monique Agius
12:32 Case details

Man, 58, a contact of two patients who had already tested positive. The man was asymptomatic. The case was detected through contact tracing procedures.

Prof. Gauci underlines the importance of mandatory quarantine.

The two other cases are related to the cases recorded in the ENT Ward. The two cases are healthcare workers who were detected after the health authorities carried out a risk assessment.
Monique Agius
12:31 Number of new cases: 3
Total number of cases recorded so far: 506
Number of recovered patients: 0
Number of active cases: 67
Monique Agius
12:22 Prof. Gauci starts addressing the press conference.

A 72-year-old man who was in intensive care unit has been discharged from hospital. The man was breathing through the help of ventilator.
Monique Agius
12:21 Don't forget to subscribe to our WhatsApp Alerts to receive the latest news.
Monique Agius
12:07 On Monday:
The number of swab tests carried out between Sunday and Monday: 778
Number of new cases: 7
Total number of cases recorded so far: 503
Number of recovered patients: 434
Number of active cases: 64
Monique Agius
12:00 Good afternoon and welcome to the Newsbook.com.mt live blog.
Monique Agius

On Monday, another patient was declared as having recovered from coronavirus while seven new cases were recorded following 778 tests between Sunday and Monday. The total number of coronavirus cases recorded so far stands at 503 of which 64 remain active.

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.