COVID-19 in Malta: The measures to avoid widespread

Medical workers wearing protective masks and suits walk in an intensive care unit at the Oglio Po hospital in Cremona
Medical workers wearing protective masks and suits walk in an intensive care unit at the Oglio Po hospital, where patients suffering from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) are treated, in Cremona, Italy March 19, 2020. REUTERS/Flavio Lo Scalzo

Coronavirus cases in Malta are on the increase and the government is taking measures to avoid a widespread of the virus and to assist businesses and families during these challenging times.

To keep the public informed with the latest developments on coronavirus in Malta and Gozo, government is issuing a bulletin with the latest updates. As mentioned on Sunday during the press conference, the government took further measures to limit local transmission of COVID-19.

Latest measured announced

Three sets of measures have been announced;

  • Non-essential retail shops are to shut down. This will come into effect as from Monday at 8 am.
  • Non-essential services are to stop; such as hairdressers and beauticians. Pet shops are to remain open. This measure will come into effect as from Monday at 8 am
  • Any public meetings and public gatherings will be prohibited. This will come into effect as from Monday at 8 am

A fine of €3,000 will be imposed for those breaching these measures.

Categories of shops to remain closed;

  • Clothing
  • Sportswear
  • Jewellery
  • Handbags and leather goods
  • Costume jewellery and accessories
  • Footwear
  • Non-prescription eyewear
  • Perfumeries
  • Beauty products
  • Haberdasheries
  • Soft furnishings
  • Household appliances
  • Souvenir shops
  • Discount stores
  • Luggage shops
  • Toy shops
  • Hobby shops
  • Furniture
  • Florists and vaping shops shall be observed.

Cases announced on Sunday

17 new coronavirus cases have been confirmed. This means that in Malta we have a total of 90 cases. Deputy Prime Minister Chris Fearne said that now Malta has entered the phase of local transmission. He also confirmed that till Sunday no deaths were reported due to coronavirus.

10 new travel-related cases

  • An 18-year-old woman and a 73- year-old, both Maltese who travelled to the United Kingdom
  • A 50-year-old Swedish man, residing in Malta and a 22-year-old man also tested positive to coronavirus. They had travelled to Italy
  • A Hungarian child, who lives in Malta and whose father travelled to Hungary has also tested positive to the virus
  • A Finnish man, residing in Malta is also positive. He recently travelled to Vienna
  • A Maltese man, aged 51 was also positive. He had travelled to Morocco
  • A woman, aged 26, who travelled to Brussels also tested positive. The woman was in contact with someone who has also been confirmed positive to coronavirus
  • Another woman, a 46-year-old who was in contact with someone who was in Germany and had been tested positive
  • Another woman, aged 55, with no travel history, whose partner works with tourists is also positive to COVID-19. Health authorities are considering this case as travel related

7 new local transmission cases

  • A 27-year-old Maltese healthcare worker at Mater Dei has tested positive
  • An Indian man residing and working in Malta, aged 42, three Maltese women aged 33, 53 and 60 have contracted COVID-19
  • There is also a case of a 74-year-old man and 28-year-old man from Somalia was admitted to hospital on Saturday after his test for coronavirus came back positive

People breaching mandatory quarantine

In the latest COVID-19 bulletin the government explained that despite all the announcements and appeals by health authorities and by Prime Minister Robert Abela there are people who are breaching quarantine.

Government said that another three persons have been caught not observing mandatory quarantine. The three persons during 569 spot checks in Malta and Gozo and they have been fines €3000 each.

Till today 25 fines have been issued.

Authorities have also been checking if restaurants, bars, kiosks, cinemas and other establishments are breaching the measure to remain closed.

320 spot checks in Malta and 150 in Gozo have been carried out. Three fines have been issued to different establishments.

Coronavirus cases in Malta;

7th March – Watch: “No reason for alarm”- Fearne following first coronavirus case in Malta

7th March – Parents test positive to coronavirus, 3 cases in Malta

9th March – Fourth coronavirus case confirmed in Malta

10th March – Fifth coronavirus case confirmed in Malta

11th March – 1st Maltese positive to coronavirus; 6th COVID-19 case

11th March – 7th coronavirus case confirmed

12th March – Watch: Two new coronavirus cases confirmed; 8th and 9th

13th March – 3 news coronavirus cases confirmed; Total of 12 ‘imported’ cases

14th March – 19-year old Maltese tests positive for coronavirus

14th March – Watch: 5 news cases; 18 in total

15th March – Watch: 3 new Covid-19 cases; Patients aged between 20 and 23

16th March – 9 new cases of coronavirus – 3 local transmissions

17th March – Watch: 8 test positive to coronavirus; Total now 38

18th March – 10 news coronavirus cases confirmed; 48 in total

19th March – Watch: 5 new coronavirus cases; Total 53

20th March – Watch: 11 new coronavirus cases – 1st case reported in Gozo

21st March – Watch: Nine new coronavirus cases confirmed

22nd March – Watch: 17 new coronavirus cases; Total 90

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.