MAM extends directives until Friday

Updated 04:27 PM
FILE PHOTO: Medical staff in a protective suit treats a patient suffering from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in an intensive care unit at the Oglio Po hospital in Cremona
FILE PHOTO: Medical staff in a protective suit treats a patient suffering from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in an intensive care unit at the Oglio Po hospital in Cremona, Italy March 19, 2020. REUTERS/Flavio Lo Scalzo/File Photo

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

The Medical Association of Malta, MAM, has extended the directives already in place, until Friday 14th August and has given one-week ultimatum to deal effectively with the pandemic.

MAM announced this morning following a council meeting held on Tuesday evening.

  • That directives will be extended and remain in force up to Friday 14th August
  • MAM will suspend its directives for a week from the 15th August until Sunday 23rd August
  • Unless further measures are taken by the cabinet by that date to effectively bring the epidemic under control MAM will again put back into force all directives including the suspension of all elective surgery as from Monday 24th of August

The association said that the directives have been followed by over 95% of members making the strike an organisational success but noted how one health centre doctor is reported as positive and another is in quarantine and are waiting for the result of testing.

The COVID-19 situation has deteriorated significantly leading to a sudden and sharp increase in numbers, and that the tally of new cases on Wednesday is expected to reach a new record, stated MAM in its press release.

The number of new coronavirus cases for today was actually 71, the Medical Association of Malta President Martin Balzan told Newsbook.com.mt.

When contacted by this newsroom to give his reaction on the new positive cases announced on Wednesday by the Ministry for Health, MAM president explained that 22 out of the 71 were individuals who had already tested positive for COVID-19.

MAM stated that the government has up to now reversed the decision on mass events over 300 people, but continues to permit events with numbers up to 300 together with practically minimal and ineffective enforcement, creating ideal conditions for the spread of the virus.

It also said that the government appears to be in a state of denial basing itself on the false premise that hospitalizations are low, where on the contrary scientific shows that death for every 75 total cases is to be expected with 3-6 weeks of onset.

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.