One of the easiest British teatime treats to make, this simple recipe can be jazzed up by adding dried fruit or nuts.
Makes up to 12 big scones
- 700g flour
- 170g butter (not melted)
- 90g sugar
- 10 teaspoon of baking powder
- 150ml milk
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In the same mixture cut the butter into squares and add and mix with your hands until the mixture looks a bit crumbly
- Add the egg and milk and mix to start forming a dough (you might need to add more milk depending if the dough starts getting together good)
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and start kneading the dough.
- Using a scone cutter or the top of a glass cut circles from the dough and place onto a tray with prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 160C / Gas mark 3
Recipe thanks to Baked With Love