The total health expenditure amounted to 9.75 per cent of Malta’s Gross Domestic Product in 2014.
What is being proposed?
- Investing in community mental health centres
- Investing and upgrading the infrastructure of Mt Carmel Hospital
- Integrating mental health services to the public hospitals, without isolating patients
- Subsidised mental health first aid courses in schools, as well as the issuing of guidelines on mental health for primary, secondary and tertiary education institutions in Malta
- The introduction of a mobile health clinic which visits spots that are popular with youth and providing them with contraceptives, pregnancy tests, and which can take blood and urine samples to run tests
- Increased physical activity in schools
- Introduction of measures to limit unhealthy food
- Increase in mental healthcare resources to provide quality services to both patients as well as their family members or carers