Watch: 94 brought to Malta after lengthy ordeal at sea

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

A lengthy ordeal for a group of 94 asylum seekers who left Libya in a bid to reach Europe has finally come to an end after the Armed Forces of Malta rescued them and brought them to Malta.

But the NGO who had initially raised the alarm – Alarm Phone, which operates a hotline for people making the dangerous crossing in the Mediterranean – said that it was not yet in a position to confirm whether any lives had been lost as feared. The group had told the NGO that one person went missing as they awaited rescue.

The group spent more than 30 hours adrift in the Maltese search-and-rescue area, having initially contacted Alarm Phone on Saturday night.

The NGO repeatedly lamented that the Maltese authorities were failing to act – an issue it has raised in several other cases.

But the AFM eventually sent out its P52 patrol boat to rescue the group, who was disembarked at Boiler Wharf in Senglea.