Unforgettable is the first-ever concert to be held in Malta by Maltese tenor Nico Darmanin. Nico will be accompanied by music from the acclaimed Big Band Brothers and by singer Jasmine Abela, in what will undoubtedly be a very special evening.
Nico promises his audience an Unforgettable way to celebrate Valentine’s Day and these are his five reasons why…
1) “It’s Valentines. It’s winter. It’s the perfect time to set you in the mood for some golden oldies.”
2) “This music and the songs being performed were sung by some of the greatest singers ever… many of whom had more of a classical background. I am super excited as an opera singer to tackle this repertoire and possibly being some interesting vocal colour to it as the greats like Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole and Bobby Darin did in their time and with their interpretations of these classic numbers.”
3) “I am unabashedly romantic! If you are single, come to the concert and you will hopefully fall in love with someone during the evening… your true love might just be the person sitting next to you. If you are in a relationship, bring your significant other, hold hands and enjoy those love songs which will warm the cockles of the heart and rekindle your spirit of love…”
4) “This music is indeed historic… these are songs you would hear sailors sing in Strait Street in Valletta during the late 1930s and early 1940s. Our grandparents’ and our parents’ generations will no doubt be awash with nostalgia about the good old times, where dancing to this music was a given in their youth. Most of them might have actually got together and fallen in love through the very songs that will be performed on the night.”
5) “This is the kind of music that will be appreciated until the end of times. My own passion for this music started way back – my grandfather used to play it on long-play records when he was younger. That passion has grown stronger since I partly live in Norfolk UK. Being here, I fell in love with anything to do with the First and Second World Wars. Both eras are very much alive, and there are entire days of re-enactments of that period in Norfolk which I have oftentimes had the pleasure to attend.”
“I am constantly gobsmacked by how people loved life during those tough times. These songs portray exactly that. A love for life and for love itself. Today we have great singers like Michael Bublé, Seal, Robbie Williams, among others who have drawn great crowds to their concerts singing this music on big world stages. I feel it is time for me to attempt my own renditions of these songs in Malta, in the hope of making people fall in love again – with each other and with this music which is so special to me,” Nico adds.
Unforgettable – A Concert by Nico Darmanin will take place on the 14th, 15th and 16th February 2019 at the National Museum of Archaeology, Valletta. Tickets at €45 are available online.