An application for moral and material damages in Malta’s civil courts against the five men
formally identified as having played a role in Daphne Caruana Galizia’s murder, has been filed
This was announced by Daphne’s Foundation in a statement in which it was explained that their “legal action is to stop them from using their assets to further corrupt our public life and institutions,” said the Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation.
It was also explained that any damages recovered will be diverted to the objectives of the Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation:
- ensuring full justice for Daphne’s assassination
- protecting investigative journalists
- ending impunity for the murder of journalists
- the guardianship of Daphne’s work
- public interest litigation and access to justice
- supporting independent, non-partisan media
The court application was signed and filed by lawyers Dr Joe Zammit Maempel and Dr Eve Borg Costanzi.