Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
The four people arraigned in court on Wednesday afternoon charged with the involuntary homicide of Miriam Pace pleaded not guilty and were granted bail.
Miriam Pace, 54, was found dead under the debris of her house that collapsed due to ongoing excavation works on an adjacent construction site.
The accident happened on March 2 in Triq Joseph Abela Scolaro in Ħamrun.
The four people who have been arrested and will be arraigned in court are:
- Roderick Camilleri, architect, aged 36 residing in Rabat
- Anthony Mangion, Site Technical Officer, aged 72 residing in Gzira
- Ludwig Diech, Contractor, aged 37 residing in Ħaż Żebbug
- Nicholas Spiteri, Construction worker, 42 residing in Imqabba
Camilleri, Mangion and Dimech are also facing charges of making a false declaration.
The four being accused of the involuntary homicide of Miriam Pace appeared before Magistrate Natasha Galea Sciberras.
The charges pressed against them carry a maximum of four years in prison.
MDA welcomes court action
In a statement, the Malta Developers Association (MDA) said it welcomed the court action by law enforcement authorities over last month’s building collapse in Santa Venera and the tragic events which resulted in an unwarranted death.
The MDA said it commends the speedy process taken by the authorities over this case, both in concluding the magisterial inquiry and for the arraignment process to commence without delay.
“Without entering into the merits of this specific case or the responsibility of those arraigned, as that is the court’s remit which should be completely respected, the MDA hopes that full justice is served in the shortest possible time”, said MDA’s Director-General Marthese Portelli.
The MDA said it noted that through the various amendments in the law made last summer, following another similar accident, the competent authorities and the courts now have sound, precise and established parameters to determine responsibility in such accidents.