29 new COVID-19 cases

Miguela Xuereb

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

Malta registered 29 new cases of coronavirus in the last 24 hours while four patients recovered.

The latest figures were announced by the Health Ministry. It said that 1,882 swab tests were performed in the last 24 hours.

According to the Ministry, three of today’s cases were found in Mount Carmel Hospital. It also said that 2 cases were traced back to Paceville while five cases linked back to family members who tested positive for the virus. ANother case is linked to a previously known case at work. Contact tracing is ongoing.

The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) called on member states which are experiencing an increase in cases of coronavirus to reinstate control measures, while sounding the alarm of a “true resurgence” in several countries. 

In a “rapid risk assessment” published on Monday, the ECDC warned of a “risk of further escalation of Covid-19” across the continent.

The ECDC stated that as of 2 August 2020, ten countries had 14-day incidence of reported cases greater than 20 per 100 000 population. Among these, six countries (Belgium, Czechia, Luxembourg, Malta, Romania and Spain) reported an increase of 30% or more and two countries (Portugal and Sweden) reported a decrease of 30% or more compared to the 14-day incidence of reported cases as of 19 July.

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.