28 bed ward for coronavirus patients at Karin Grech

Steward Health Care Malta

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

A 28-bed ward for coronavirus patients has been made available at Karin Grech Hospital. An additional ward for quarantine purpose was also set up, Steward Health Care said in a statement on Tuesday. These measures are part of the Steward Health Care contingency plan.

The American giant running three previously stated owned hospital said that the health, safety and well-being of patients and staff remained its top priority. It explained that staff was being trained and that public health protocols were aligned with those of the national health authorities.

Patients who are referred from Mater Dei Hospital are admitted to Karin Grech Hospital after they test negative for coronavirus. The patients are then monitored for symptoms for two weeks prior to being released into general wards.

Steward Health Care Malta reminded those who required urgent medical attention to not put their own health at risk out of fear of coming to the hospital.

New helpline launched for physiotherapy outpatients at Karin Grech

A new helpline has been launched to provide additional support to patients attending Karin Grech Hospital’s Physiotherapy Outpatients Department on Tuesday.

The newly launched helpline is 22081300 and will run between 7.30am-3pm on weekdays and 7.30am-12.30pm on Saturday.

In a statement, Steward Health Care explained that all those patients who cannot attend their appointment because of the coronavirus restrictions or who have any other concern in relation to their physiotherapy progress, are encouraged to contact the helpline.

The helpline is manned by physiotherapists who will be providing support and instructions to patients as required.

Urgent referrals and appointments are still being seen onsite at the Outpatients Department or through video-consultation, Steward Health Care said.

On Tuesday, 12 new coronavirus cases were recorded from the overnight tests. Superintendent of Public Health Professor Charmaine Gauci announced that 24 patients had fully recovered while one patient remains in intensive care.

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.