Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
Last year was the second worst year where illegal hunting was concerned since 2013, BirdLife Malta said.
In a statement, NGO BirdLife Malta said that 99 illegal hunting casualties were retrieved by BirdLife Malta and police last year, making 2019 the second worst year in the past seven for illegal hunting. “These numbers only represent the tip of the iceberg since many other shot birds are never found or end up in taxidermy collections,” said BirdLife.
“Whilst the hunting and trapping situation remains in limbo following the illegal move in the ministerial portfolio over which BirdLife Malta has taken legal action against the Government, on Friday 31st January the 2020 autumn hunting season came to a close. It had been running for five months, since the 1st of September of last year. The same period was also characterised by a trapping season extended by 10 days which the Government still needs to justify to the European Commission. The trapping season also closed in January, on the 10th of the month. It had been running since the 20th of October.”
The NGO also said that the hunting and trapping seasons were characterised by an Administrative Law Enforcement (ALE) Police unit at its lowest-ever capacity in recent years, with no backup from the Specialist Enforcement Branch within the Wild Birds Regulation Unit (WBRU).