A 13th century painting that forms part of the Mdina Cathedral Museum collection is to be studied in the upcoming months, as the Malta Airport foundation has sponsored the research which will be carried out by the the University of Malta’s Department of Art and Art History.
This painting is the second painting in the collection to be studied, following the restoration completed last year of Salvo d’Antonio’s masterful 1510 predella with the Salvator Mundi.
The painting is a Triptych dedicated to the Virgin of Succour portraying in its central panel the Madonna del Soccorso with St Peter and St James the Elder as well as an Annunciation and Golgotha scenes in each of the three panels’ top cusps.
The wood and pigments employed will be analysed in-depth. Moreover, the panels will be scanned in 3D alongside which a Scientific Software Management system will be employed. The information obtained from the scientific results will be incorporated into a multi-layered image. This will enhance knowledge of the painting and its makeup, as it is the first to be studied in 3D on the Maltese islands.
The Rector of the University of Malta, Professor Alfred Vella, welcomed the research sponsorship and thanked the Malta Airport Foundation for the assistance it offered. He also thanked the Mdina Cathedral Museum.