School is soon starting again… and with it the stress of studying, homework and more. But it doesn’t all have to be doom and gloom. It is important that children have some time in the day to simply have fun and enjoy themselves.
The Mental Health Association Malta has come up with some ways to boost children’s mental health:
- Board games – social skills are modeled and practised
- Dancing – physical movement reduces depression
- Art – healthy outlet for emotions
- Reading – increases empathy and self-awareness
- Knitting/crochet/stitching – promotes mindfulness
- Cooking – boosts focus
- Writing stories/jokes – improves executive functioning skills
- Singing / playing an instrument – releases ‘feel good’ endorphins
- Outdoor nature walks – reduces stress levels
- Puzzles – exercises problem-solving skills.